The number of people suffering from hunger is set to reach over 1 billion this year, which means 1 in 7 people do not have enough to eat. That’s more people than the US, Canada and the EU combined. Poverty kills 10 children every minute of every day.
Small scale farmers produce half the world’s food and most of them are women. If we are to solve hunger, it is vital that smallholder farmers, and in particular women, are supported and protected from the food and climate crisis.
We’re a partnership between people in poor countries and people in rich countries – all working together to end hunger and poverty. Ending poverty isn’t someone else’s is job it’s yours and mine! Only People can end poverty and put a stop to hunger. But only if we work together.
Despite world leader’s commitment to half hunger by 2015, there are more hungry people in the world than ever
- Over 1 billion people, mostly women, lack a basic education – illiteracy and poverty are closely linked
- 33.2 million people are living with HIV and AIDS today. We need to tackle the spread of AIDS to end global poverty
- Where women and girls are disadvantaged, excluded, discriminated against and denied their rights, it keeps half the world’s population poor
Join us for a HungerFREE world:
What you can do:
- You can help by using our video at the top of this page to tell your friends and networks about this campaign. Please share it on Facebook and Tweet about it. We've also got a whole bunch of multimedia goodies for you to play with and share here. The more noise we can generate about women farmers - the more visible this solution will become!
Find out more:
- Explore our interactive HungerFREE map to see which countries are at risk and what we're doing about it.
- Find out which countries are prepared for the climate and hunger crisis
- From stopping land grabs to exposing governments: Find our what the HungerFREE campaign has been up to so far.